The Membership Committee will recruit and retain qualified members with diverse backgrounds to support the mission of the Society and the advancement of the discipline of Sports Medicine.
- Oversee the membership application process including application submission, membership criteria, review, and approval of membership status.
- Review military members currently serving overseas to determine qualification for military hardship status.
- Work closely with staff to maintain and review annual membership statistics.
- Maintain and increase AMSSM membership:
- Minimize attrition of current members.
- Recruitment of all current sports medicine fellows.
- Encourage international membership.
- Conduct a periodic membership survey every 2-3 years regarding member satisfaction and prepare a report for the Board.
- Oversee the AMSSM Resident Scholarship Award program including applications, submission, review through the Resident Scholarship Review Committee, and award recipients.
- Oversee the Student/ Resident Interest Group including their webpage and interest group meeting at the AMSSM Annual Meeting.
- Oversee the Diversity Interest Group including the interest group meeting at the AMSSM Annual Meeting.
- Oversee the Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Medicines and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Interest Groups.
Membership Committee appointments will be a 3-year renewable term for active members provided they actively participate in the function and responsibilities of the Committee. Fellows may be members but are not eligible to review applications for membership or scholarship. Diversity in Committee membership is strongly encouraged.