Coach’s Corner: Avoiding Baseball-Related Injuries
When Spring Training is in full swing, here are some tips to help avoid baseball-related injuries during the season:
- Give adequate rest for pitchers in between starts and be aware of pitch counts as guidelines. Both USA Baseball and Little League Baseball have guidelines available for review.
- Teach fundamental skills well, especially in younger age groups. Correct throwing mechanics can go a long way in injury prevention.
- Always include a good warm-up before workouts and a stretching routine for cool down.
- Physical conditioning is essential to limit fatigue in later innings, especially in pitchers.
- Encourage players post-season to have a period of “active rest” in which they participate in a sport without significant overhead throwing.