By Tom Trojian, MD
The following are recent projects the IIOR Committee has been working on:
1. IIOR has created a working committee to identify concussion organizations that AMSSM can develop connection to for promotion of our membership’s management of sports-related concussions, as well as the development of a subcommittee to interface with these organizations. If you are an IIOR member and would like to participate, please contact email@example.com subject line: AdHoc Committee Concussions.
2. “We are AMSSM” Letter to international organizations was a project completed by members of the IIOR to promote and educate other national organizations around the world about AMSSM and our meetings. We have completed the letter and it was mailed September 2012 to organizations. We have received positive feedback from many organizations.
3. IIOR has contacted other national organizations concerning upcoming position statements from these other organizations that may affect AMSSM via our Inter-Organization arm. We have then linked these organizations to Publications and Announcements to coordinate potential joint endorsement. If you are part of a position statement that would be of interest to AMSSM members, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. “Liaison Nominating Subcommittee” was approved at the July 2012 meeting and the committee was invoked and a member was nominated.
5. “One World Futbol Project” was connected to representatives in Haiti and FIFA. The implementation of Futbol distribution is expected in next three to six months. AMSSM supports the efforts of One World Futbol Project to distribute their co-branded soccer balls to international organizations and FIFA by writing a letter to FIFA and international sports medicine organizations in foreign countries supporting this project. If you have potential groups in foreign countries please visit http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/ or email Eric Frothingham at email@example.com.
6. “AMSSM Sports Medicine/Sports Trauma and Event Medicine Conference in Haiti” We intend to run a “teach the teacher” style course and a separate course with the local educators for the physicians and first responders. The faculty will then donate their time in volunteer physician clinics for the rest of the week. We are currently in the planning stage and are looking for interested AMSSM members to VOLUNTEER by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Small grant funding was proposed to the AMSSM Foundation and approved. Implementation is planned for the next six to nine months.
The conclusions and opinions in this news article should not be interpreted as official statements of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.